Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Day 6 - one week check up

Technically there's only been 6 days since I had my laser eye surgery, but I was told it was fine to book my one week check up on the 6th day.

My appointment was at 11am. This time I was one of the few people in the waiting room who'd already had surgery done. There were a few people who looked to be having first consultations, and one nervous young man who was about to have his surgery performed. He seemed pretty nervous. I felt like telling him it was just a short blip of discomfort, but thought better of it. To be honest I wouldn't have traded places with him for anything. Laser eye surgery was not one of my most enjoyable experiences. I can't imagine surgery whilst awake could ever be. It was worth it though, I know that, I'm just not sure I'd want to go through it again...

I had the same optomotrist as my check up after 24hrs. This time we did a little check of the vision and prescription. The short of it is that I can the line below 20/20 with each eye on it's own, and with both eyes together could make out most of what was really pretty tiny print. I've no idea what the 0/0 number of that was but hey it's not all about the numbers. It's about the night vision, the close up vision, the everyday life vision.

Next he measured my prescription and told me there was no prescription registering in either eye. Yahoo! That made me happy. For the first couple of days after the surgery I'd been worried that my right was a little blurrier than the left, this was clearly where it was healing as it's barely noticable now. And with no prescription there will be no need for retreatment. I have to say I'm breathing a little sigh of relief.

I mentioned about the ghosting around bright things with my left eye and he had a good look with a microscope at both my eyes, spending a little longer on the left so I was sure he'd tell me he could see an infection. But he couldn't. It was all clear he said, but just to be sure he advised me to go back to using my antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drops every 2hrs again in my left eye. I'm to do this for a couple of days and then go to four hourly for about four days. My right eye however is fine, and I can stay at four hourly until Friday lunchtime (this will be 9 days after surgery) when my right eye can stop having drops.

I put my drops in my left eye once we got to the car. They do feel more comfortable with the drops more regularly. Right now they're both feeling pretty good. Reading this computer screen is a little bright on a white page, but I'm not squinting any longer. And that's 6 days after laser eye surgery (Ultralasik plus Intralase to be exact).

I really am glad looking back that I opted for the Intralase instead of having lasek. My three hours of discomfort would have been three days. But well if I'd had to go for lasek, I still would have had it done.

Walking past people wearing glasses in the street I feel like saying "You really don't have to you know! Ditch those specs!" I know it's not for everyone. It's a daunting idea. It's one of those situations where you often hear far more about the bad experiences people have than the bad. My mother was always keen to point out that the majority of doctor's still wear glasses, "And why is that? Because they know the risks that's why!" she'd always tell me. But well, I took the plunge and 6 days after surgery my vision is better than 20/20. There's a good experience for you. I'm definitely in favour of laser eye surgery. Provided it's with a good provider, and based on my experiences I'd recommend Ultralase to anyone.

No comments: